Safety Tips for the Internet and Technology
In today’s world, the Internet, cellular phones and computers allow us greater connectivity to others but they also open the door to potential dangers. The Internet is forever and so is content and photos that are placed there or sent to someone’s cellular phone.
Cyber crimes involving minors do exist in Wyoming. According to the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation, there were 72 investigations conducted involving cyber crimes in 2001. Of these, 52 involved sexual exploitation of children related offenses. There were 23 arrests made by local, state and federal law enforcement agencies in Wyoming involving the sexual exploitation of children in 2001. These arrests involved travelers, distribution and possession of child pornography
Safety Tips for the Internet
- Know where your children are going on the Internet by placing the computer in a family area of the household and do not permit private usage.
- Educate your children regarding the Internet and potential dangers of the Internet. Talk to your children about chat rooms and what are appropriate or inappropriate conversations in a chat room.
- Know each of your child’s passwords.
- Know what other access your child has to computers and devices like cell phones and PDAs.
- Monitor what your child’s friends are posting on Facebook or other similar sites regarding your child’s identity.
- Enable Internet filtering features if they are available from your Internet Service Provider.
- Install monitoring software or keystroke capture devices on your family computer that will help monitor your child’s Internet activity.
Information for Teenagers: Staying Safe While Staying Connected: The National Child Traumatic Stress Network has developed a document targeted to teens about safety tips about using technology from the Internet, texting and social media. http://www.nctsn.org/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/staying_safe.pdf
National Cybertip line operated by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) http://www.cybertipline.com/